We drove by a church and saw this signage up front, ‘I am not buying a 2021 Planner until I see a trailer’. Not the trailer that moves, this signage was referring to the sneak preview you get of an upcoming movie, Yeap! that type of trailer. Seeing how 2020 turned out, you wouldn’t blame the person who came up with those words. This year was challenging on many fronts for different people. Our hearts go out especially to everyone who lost a loved one this year, praying that God comforts those left behind.
In the midst of all that could go wrong in one given year, you may find it difficult to be thankful or find any reason to. We understand but we have decided to be thankful and this is why. 2020 gave us a fresh perspective on life, making us think differently about what is important. Our list of reasons why we are thankful looks a little different and maybe off but its 2020, the year of the not so normal ‘Normal’.
So here we go, enjoy the roll call…..
1. Thankful for toilet paper – Yes, for the first time in our lives, we witnessed toilet paper elevate in priority, becoming an endangered specie. The shopping aisle was empty as many carted away with rolls of toilet paper, you will think it contained some kind of nourishment for the pandemic.
We did not join the madness but we had enough until the stores restocked.
2. Thankful for a sound mind – I was confined to a room for 14 days with my two-year-old daughter and We survived it.
3. Thankful for the great outdoors – Nature becomes beautiful when you have to stare at it from inside. Because we had limited options, we began to value simple things like taking a walk or driving around town.
4. Thankful for restriction – Being asked to sit still and not go out forced us to see the beauty within our walls and also gave us an appreciation for freedom that we often take for granted. Growing up, my dad insisted that Christmas was a day to spend with your family so we didn’t go out on Christmas day. This year as my city is still under lockdown restrictions, I am grateful that my dad taught us early to stay home with family on Christmas day.
5. Thankful for remote work – I have always being a fan of flexibility and looked forward to a time when employers and employees will reach a compromise on what works. Before 2020, most employers felt it was impossible to work from home but 2020 left employers with not too many options and everyone is happier to experience, appreciate and choose what works best.
6. Thankful for time to step back and discover one’s self – A lot of hidden talents gained expression for so many people in 2020. So many written dreams became living dreams and this year, we have all watched so many Amateurs become Pros in new lines of endeavours.
7. Thankful for knowledge – 2020 was the year of information overload, so many free learning resources and those who took advantage of them, GREW!
8. Thankful for Teachers – We have always respected teachers and caregivers but this year that respect grew. A few months of homeschooling gave us perspective. God bless our Educators!
9. Thankful for frontline workers – Men and women who choose daily to show up to work regardless of imminent danger and serve tirelessly with smiles on their faces. God bless our frontline workers.
10. Thankful for songs like Bare Necessities from the movie ‘Jungle book’ – Reminding us that after all is said and done, all we need are the bare necessities of life – food, water, clothing and shelter.
Our list this year is deliberately unconventional. Of course, our conventional list has more than 10,000 reasons for our heart to sing ‘Bless the Lord oh, my soul’.
Thank you God for 2020!
Not even our excel spreadsheet prepared us for what 2020 had in store for us but You knew, You saw and You still declare that ‘You have a plan for us, plans of good and not evil to give us a hope and a future’. Your word encourages us to give thanks no matter how the year went because whatever we faced, You knew…..
We love to hear from you, so don’t forget to like, leave a comment, follow us and tell a friend.
Have a great day!