Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do His will. And I know that I will not be put to shame.Isaiah 50: 7 NLT
When ever I read the Bible these days, I try to read it like a child and I ask simple questions and wonder why certain examples, phrases, figures of speech etc were used. Sometimes, I get answers and sometimes I don’t. But I find that when I do this, it gives me more insight and a deeper understanding of different verses of Scripture and it greatly helps in their application.
To the verse above, I wondered why the use of a stone to describe the person that is determined to do God’s will. Apart from the obvious rigidity of a stone, I decided to explore more and and look at some simple characteristics of a Stone.
- A stone does not change the mood of its face. It wears only one look.
- A stone does not argue.
- If you throw a stone, it will not come back to you.
- A stone is rugged.
- When a stone is crushed, it multiplies into smaller parts and fills the earth.
Are there similarities to a person determined to do God’s will? Let’s see.
- I wear Joy & Gratitude, not determined by situations or emotions but it is determined by who I am and whose I am – Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
- I go where I am sent – Then I said, “Here am I! Send me” – Isaiah 6:8
- When I go, I do not look back – Forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which lie ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus – Philippians 3:13-14
- I am rugged – I know how to live on almost anything or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me – Philippians 4:12-13
- When I am crushed, I multiply and fill the earth – Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word…. Acts 11:19
I am Stone-faced. Christ is the foundational Stone and I am built on Him. The world expects us to be flexible, blown by every wind of doctrine, move with the times and succumb to every imagination of man, but because of who I am, some things are unchangeable. I am planted on the ‘Rock’ and when you are planted on a rock, you will grow, experience new things, go through changing times and seasons, but your roots remain solid, immovable, and unchangeable. Rather, they grow deeper into the rock from where they draw their strength and identity.
We love to hear from you, so don’t forget to like, leave a comment, and tell a friend. Thank you.