I was scrolling through my notes and I found this write up. It was my first attempt at writing when I felt the call to the pen in 2019. I sent it to a few friends but did not feel it was good enough to go out. I read through it again today and I am still in love with the write up especially the simplicity of the message. Sharing my scribbles, I hope you enjoy it…..
Wherever you are in life, leave something behind, make it as positive as you can humanly do. Not everyone will feel it, because you may have a few people who just don’t like you, keep them few. But someone’s life should shift because they met you.
Sometimes making an impact will require you to expend time, money and a bit of your brain to touch a life. Most of us feel we need to wait for the perfect time in the future when time, money and brains are in abundant supply. Reality check, there may never be a perfect time. I like to think of every day as a good time to leave a mark or even make it bigger and cause a shift.
I have made a list of a few cost-free ideas that you can practise daily to make a difference around you.
1. Smiling most of the time, smiles are contagious and could brighten someone’s day.
2. Saying hello in your culture’s preferred way to those around you especially to those who feel you are more highly positioned than they are
3. Saying thank you, you are welcome and have a nice day at the end of all interactions
4. Giving appropriate compliments
5. Remembering people’s names, faces, and stories they have shared with you
6. Listening and following up on conversations – some people just want to talk
7. Sharing your life learnings – no use having people around you make the same mistakes you made, not everyone needs to learn from their mistakes, some will do just fine learning from the mistakes of others
8. Spread some happy cheer – telling the right joke at the right time will do the trick
9. Keeping quiet, not all stories need to be retold
10. Being the best version of yourself if possible all the time
Making an impact can be cost-free, so even on your worst days when you feel you have nothing to offer, you can still be salt and light to those around you. I encourage you to take a look at this list of 10 and take a pick, someone around you will be happy you made the effort.
We love to hear from you so please share your thoughts on the post with us and tell a friend.