One of the greatest joys of a Christian is having access to the word of God. My Bible is the MVP of my Christian walk, the best story ever written. It is insightful, motivational, spirit-filled and instructional. It is everything and has everything – a bit of action, thriller, suspense, romance and comedy, all in one book. No wonder the songwriter penned down this song –
“The B-I-B-L-E, yes that is the book for me. I stand alone on the word of God, the B-I-B-L-E.”
The Bible is true, history checks out. It tells us stories of time past, talks about the present and gives us a picture of the future. It was written thousands of years ago but its lessons apply to my life every day. It is honest, sometimes too honest, I wonder why some stories made it to its pages.
Over the pandemic years, I spent time reading mostly self-help books, as I reflect on key messages from each of those over 300-page books, I can find a scripture from the Bible that summarizes each one nicely.
Here are a few examples worth sharing –
- Jim Kwik’s Limitless – “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV
- James Clear’s Atomic Habits – So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and stood up to read. Luke 4:16 NKJV
- Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend’s Boundaries – “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12 NLT
- Arese Ugwu’s Smart Money Woman – “She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night. Proverbs 31:16-18 NLT
- Amy Morin’s 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do – For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 KJV
The Bible is genius, case closed. While I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, I share them as an example of how the Bible has a verse carefully crafted for all of life’s situations. When I find myself in a situation, I am always looking for that one verse or story that speaks to my situation because I know it will be my adrenaline booster. There is nothing like a perfect word to calm the raging storm.
The Bible is at the core of who we are, what we do and how we do it. My pages are filled with post it notes, scribbles and coloured highlighters because it speaks to me daily – words of life and hope. My Bible has a voice, it is the voice of God.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the story of my Bible and I.
We would love to hear from you, so please share your thoughts on this post with us and tell a friend.